Facts About Window Well Drains and Egress Window Wells
Water buildup in window wells is a common occurrence. Many commercial buildings are constructed with window well drains. Debris such as branches, leaves, or mulch can clog the drain if it has been left unattended. If too much water collects inside the well, it can force its way through the windows and leak into your basement.
The Atlas Restoration Method
The expert team at Atlas Restoration will find the original source of water accumulation in your window wells. We will work with you to address the root cause and provide you with the best solution to ensure no more water leaks into your basement. Window well drainage can be fitted for either exterior or interior window wells. Below outlines our process for each situation.
Exterior Egress Window Well Drainage Systems
To install a window well drainage system for an exterior egress window, our team will:
- Excavate from the window well to the drain tile
- Perform a drain tile test to ensure that the drain tile is indeed draining
- Install a 4" rigid PVC drain pipe with drain grate below the level of the window sill, which extends from the top of the drain tile or gravel drainage layer
- Secure the window well to the wall using concrete screws
- Fill the excavation site with native soil
- Place gravel into the window well to facilitate and filter drainage into the newly installed drain pipe
Interior Window Well Drains
If a drainage system is needed for an interior window well, our team will:
- Excavate dirt approximately 6” below the window sill level
- Drill a 2" hole through the foundation wall, then through to the exterior into window well. The hole is drilled approximately 4" down from the level of the window sill to the drainage point.
- Install a 2" PVC drain pipe through the core hole and into a sump basin
- The hole's entrance point is sealed with hydraulic cement
- Pour gravel inside the window well to facilitate and filter drainage into the newly installed drain pipe
To learn more about leaking basement windows and our solutions for the Chicagoland area, call Atlas Restoration today at 847-415-9600.